Did you know 家庭火灾 are the most common disaster in this country and are so dangerous that they claim more lives in a typical year than all natural disasters combined. Tragically, seven lives are lost each day in the U.S. 家庭火灾. So far this year 847 people have lost their lives in 家庭火灾 across the country.
一月一日起, the American Red Cross has responded to more than 20,700起家庭火灾, 为近78人提供帮助,000人. Our hearts go out to all those who have been affected by these tragedies.
家里着火了，分秒必争. 帮助保护你的家庭, test your smoke alarms each month and practice your escape plan until everyone can get out in less than two minutes.
- 每月测试一下你的烟雾报警器. Working smoke alarms can cut the risk of dying in a home fire 了一半. Place smoke alarms on each level of your home, and inside and outside bedrooms and sleeping areas. 改变 the batteries at least once a year, if your model requires it. Also, check the manufacturer’s date of your smoke alarms. 如果他们10岁以上, they need to be replaced because the sensor becomes less sensitive over time. 遵循制造商的说明.
- Practice your escape plan until everyone can get out in less than two minutes. 创建您的 家庭火灾逃生计划, include at least two ways to exit every room in your home. Select a meeting spot at a safe distance away from your home, such as your neighbor’s home or landmark like a specific tree in your front yard, 每个人都知道见面的地方. 教孩子们烟雾报警器是什么声音. Talk about fire safety and what to do in an emergency.
烹饪是导致美国肥胖的主要原因.S. 家庭火灾. Here are the top eight ways to avoid a cooking fire:
- 注意你煎的东西. 不要让做饭的食物无人看管. If you must leave the kitchen, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- 把炉子上可能燃烧的东西移走. This includes dishtowels, bags, boxes, paper and curtains.
- Avoid wearing loose clothing or dangling sleeves while cooking.
- When frying food, turn the burner off if you see smoke or if the grease starts to boil. 小心地把锅从炉子上拿开.
- 把锅盖或烤盘放在附近. 如果锅着火了就用它盖住. 这将把火扑灭. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- Turn pot handles to the back of the stove, so no one bumps them or pulls them over.
- 使用计时器 提醒自己炉子或烤箱是开着的. Check the kitchen before going to bed or leaving home to ensure all stoves, 烤箱和小电器都是关闭的.
Each year, thousands of 家庭火灾 occur from children playing with fire. Take time to talk with your children about 家庭火灾 and practice your escape plan until everyone can get out in less than two minutes.
- Familiarize children with the sound of your smoke alarm, and teach them what to do when they hear it
- Teach your children not to be afraid of firefighters. Take them to your local fire department to meet them, see their gear they wear and learn about fire safety.
- Educate children to tell you or a responsible adult when they find matches or lighters at home or school. 在家里, 保持匹配, lighters and other ignitable substances in a secured location out of reach of children. Check under beds and in closets for burnt matches to ensure your child isn’t playing with fire.
- Dress children in pajamas that meet federal standards for being flame-resistant. 避免宽松的、100%纯棉的服装.
高层公寓 & 公寓安全
Although high-rise apartment buildings and condominiums are more likely to have sprinklers and fire alarms, it’s still critical to have a fire escape plan and working smoke alarms in your unit. If you live in a multi-unit building, take these steps to stay safe:
- 了解建筑物的消防安全特点, 包括火警, 洒水装置和疏散计划.
- Make sure all exits are clearly marked and not blocked. Know the locations of all available exit stairwells on the floor, as one or more of the exits might be blocked by fire.
- 有访问或功能需求的个人, 包括残疾, should learn where the closest area of safe refuge is.
- If smoke or fire enters your unit and you cannot immediately escape, 拨打911报告你的位置. 把窗户稍稍打开. Wave a bright cloth or a light at night to identify your location. • If smoke enters the unit, stay low to the floor to breathe the best air.
In 2014, the Red Cross launched its 首页 Fire Campaign to help educate people about home fire safety and install free smoke alarms in neighborhoods at high risk for fires. Since then, the effort has helped save more than 1,240 lives and installed more than 2.3 million free smoke alarms, helping to make more than 975,000 homes safer across the country.